The oratory is the seat of a significant parish museum of sacred art, inaugurated in December 2002, made up in large part of works already present in the building in ancient times, recently restored and re-arranged, so as to create a course from the 15th to 19th centuries.
Referred to by the name of “spedaluzzo” since 1287, it was a refuge for the poor and for pilgrims, supported by the Bini family, house owners in this area of town and subordinate to the Roman Archhospital of Santo Spirito in Saxia. It continued to be used as a hospital until the end of the 1700’s.
Of particular importance inside is the major chapel, made up of a tribune with a central cupola, whose Renaissance style is consistent with the altarpiece of the Bini family, executed by Baccio d’Agnolo probably commissioned by Bernardo di Piero Bini, buried here, as witnessed by the date 1525 inscribed on the tombslab in the center of the chapel. The altarpiece was made in order to welcome the Madonna of Humility (photo 1), stolen during the 1920’s and recovered on the antiques market.