National Museum
of Medieval and Modern Art

AREZZO - VALDICHIANA

The Museum was founded in Arezzo in 1957, following an agreement between the municipality of Arezzo and the Ministry of Education, at the time in charge of the “Fine Arts” , regarding the management of the Municipal Picture Gallery’s collections, which were mainly the result of the suppression of the religious orders and the acquisition of the Bartolini, Funghini, and Fossombroni collections; and, generally, of all the historical collections belonging to the Fraternita dei Laici.

The latter had entrusted them to the city already by 1934-35. Numerous loans by the Florentine Galleries have added to the initial core collections, including the more recent 1964 bequest of the Salmi collection to the State, which was expanded in 2010 with a new donation from the heirs.

Since the war, following a series of complex events, the collections were gathered in the present location, Palazzo Bruni Ciocchi, also known as “della Dogana”. A ministerial decree dated 7 October 1972 finally established the two state museums in Arezzo: the Archaeological Museum in the former Convent of San Bernardo and the Museum of Medieval and Modern Art.

The museum is divided into twenty rooms on three floors. The works are arranged chronologically, going from the Middle Ages to the 19th century.

The Customs Palace

The building’s popular name of “della Dogana”, (i.e., Customs) refers to the time when it was occupied by the State Monopolies. The post-war restoration work lasted for many years and returned the palace to its stately appearance.
Construction of the palace in the mid-15th century, incorporating pre-existing 14th-century buildings was began by the family of Leonardo Bruni, chancellor of the Florentine Republic and renowned humanist.
Also dating back to this period is the large colonnaded courtyard, which has retained its Renaissance aspect and may be accessed from one of three entrances on Via San Lorentino.

At that time, the neighborhood revolved around Canto de’ Bacci where the church dedicated to the martyrs Laurentinus and Pergentinus stood, downhill from the Duomo and the Camaldolese Church of Santa Maria in Gradi. Unlike today, the part of the town, which corresponded to the city entrance through the gate in the direction of Florence known as San Lorentino, was a crowded and well-trafficked area. Ownership of the palace then passed from the Bruni family to the Ciocchi del Monte family of Monte San Savino. From the 17th to the 19th centuries, it then belonged to the Barbolani family of Montauto, who were originally from the Valtiberina.

The Monumental Courtyard

The administrative offices and the courtyard are home to some valuable stone objects: architectural fragments from the city’s religious buildings, including its parish church as well as other civil structures. Particularly worthy of attention are the protomes of a lion and of two horses, discovered in the 1930s during restoration work on the Arezzo aqueduct. Built in the late 16th century by order of Ferdinand de’ Medici, this aqueduct has usually been associated with a design by Vasari.

The water, which originated in the Alpe di Poti area, flowed into the open at La Godiola. There, it entered the still-existing system of arches, arriving in Piazza Grande. Originally, these protomes were part of a system of interconnected tanks. The water from a large reservoir exited through the horses’ jaws to then be collected in another basin, with the lion’s head regulating the outflow.

The main element of these distinctly Mannerist sculptures is their classical derivation. The same characteristics are found in a smaller protome that comes from the Praticino area. It is mounted on the fountain in the museum’s courtyard. Going up the monumental staircase, we find Girelli’s large painting (1696) with its view of the aqueduct.

sanfrancesco

Saint Francis of Assisi

Date: ca. 1260- 1275
Technique and Materials: painting on a wooden panel
Size: 128×51
Artist: Margarito Di Arezzo and assistant

madonna-misericordia

Madonna of Mercy

Date: 1435-1437
Technique and Materials: painting on a wooden panel
Size:
199 × 174
Author:
Parri di Spinello (Arezzo 1387-1453)

sanrocco-palazzo

Saint Roch in front of the Palace of the Fraternità dei Laici

Date: 1479
Technique and Materials: tempera on canvas
Size:
215 × 115
Artist:
Pietro di Antonio Dei known as Bartolomeo della Gatta (1448-1502)

piatto

Plate (Tondino)

Date: ca. 1530
Technique and Materials:
luster maiolica
Workshop of:
Master Giorgio Andreoli, Gubbio

zia-erminia

Aunt Erminia

Technique and Materials: painting on canvas
Size:
25.5 × 36.5
Artist:
Adriano Cecioni (Vaglia 1836 – Florence 1886)

putto

Putto for a fountain

Dating: 1540s
Technique and Materials:
marble
Size:
56 cm (height)
Artist:
Pierino da Vinci (Vinci 1529/30 – Pisa 1553)

madonna-bambino-palarocco

Madonna and Child with Saints known as the San Rocco Altarpiece

Date: 1536-1537
Technique and Materials: oil on a wooden panel
Size: 212 × 254
Artist: Giorgio Vasari (Arezzo 1511 – Florence 1574)

provenzan

Provenzan Salvati in Piazza del Campo Collecting Money to Save A Friend from Punishment

Date: 1873
Technique and Materials:
oil on canvas applied to a wooden panel
Size: 28 × 43
Artist:
Amos Cassioli (Asciano 1832 – Florence 1891)

sanmichele

Saint Michael the Archangel

Date: 1315-1340
Technique and Materials:
painting on a wooden panel
Size:
203 × 75
Artist:
Buonamico di Martino known as Buonamico Buffalmacco

santantonio

Saint Anthony the Abbot

Date: first half of the 15th century
Technique and Materials:
polychrome terracotta
Size: ca. 140x80x46
Artist:
attributed to Michele Dini known as Michele da Firenze (Florence ca. 1385 -1453)

madonna-bambino-maiolica

Madonna and Child with Saints Sebastian and Julian

Date: ca. 1495- 1500
Technique and Materials:
glazed terracotta
Workshop of:
Andrea della Robbia
Size:
231 × 194

On the predella: the Stigmata of Saint Francis, the Nativity, Saint Julian Killing his Parents.

figura-bella

Coppa with the “Figure of a Beautiful Woman”

Dating: 16th century
Technique and Materials:
luster maiolica
Workshop of:
Deruta

sangirolamo

Saint Jerome Penitent

Date: 1593
Technique and Materials:
painting on canvas
Size:
76 × 57
Artist:
Ludovico Carracci (Bologna 1555-1619)

madonna-in-gloria

Madonna in Glory with the Child, Saints and Prophets, and the Patron Niccolò Gamurrini

Date: 1519 -1522
Technique and Materials:
painting on a wooden panel
Size:
341 × 233
Artist:
Luca Signorelli (Cortona ca. 1450- 1523)

stregoneria

Scene of witchcraft

Date: first half of the 17th century
Technique and Materials:
oil on canvas
Size:
55 × 79
Artist:
Angelo Caroselli (Rome 1585-1652)

arcola

View of Arcola in Lunigiana

Date: 1884-1888
Technique and Materials:
oil on canvas pasted on cardboard
Size: 21.5 × 12.5
Artist:
Telemaco Signorini (Florence 1835-1901)

madonna-bambino

Madonna and Child between Saints Agnes and Catherine

Date: ca. 1310- 1315
Technique and Materials:
painting on a wooden panel
Size:
70 × 122
Artist:
Pietro Lorenzetti

sanrocco-peste

Saint Roch Protects Arezzo from the Scourge of the Plague

Date: ca. 1482
Technique and Materials:
tempera on canvas
Size:
185 × 74
Artist:
Pietro di Antonio Dei known as Bartolomeo della Gatta (1448-1502)

coppe

Coppe Amatorie

Technique and Materials: polychrome maiolica
Workshop of:
Casteldurante

Coppe with Antinore (16th century); with Cornelia (ca. 1530 – 1540); with Andrea Bella (ca. 1540); with Luchina (ca. 1520 – 1530); with Lucrezia (ca. 1540).

cena-ester

The Feast of Esther and Ahasuerus

Date: 1549
Technique and Materials:
oil on a wooden panel
Size: 289 × 745
Artist: Giorgio Vasari

crocifisso

The Crucifixion with Saint Francis

Technique and Materials: painting on canvas
Size:
73 × 39
Artist:
Alessandro Magnasco (Genoa 1677-1749)

madonna-bambino-2

Madonna and Child

Date: ca. 1510-1525
Technique and Materials:
painting on a wooden panel
Size: 84 × 65
Artist:
Giovanni di Lorenzo Larciani known as Master of the Kress Landscapes (Florence area 1484-1527)

figure-femminili

Two Female Figures

Date: ca. 1645- 1655
Technique and Materials:
oil on canvas
Size:
72 × 98.5
Attributed to:
Pier Francesco Mola (Coldrerio 1612 – Rome 1666)

veduta-museo

Museum view

Address

National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art
Via San Lorentino, 8
Arezzo
Phone: 0575 409050
Fax: 0575 409050
Website

Opening hours

Open every Thursday at 11 a.m. and every Saturday at 5 p.m., for information: 0575 409050.
Closed on Mondays.

Tickets

As of 1 June 2012, entrance to the National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art is free.